- Category: Politics
- Published on Wednesday, 18 August 2010 02:04
- Written by Tribune
- Hits: 1098
Insiders in President Goodluck Jonathan’s presidency have confirmed the determination by the president to announce his 2011 presidential aspiration mid September.
Sources in Abuja, on Tuesday, said the president’s inner circle had picked a date in the second week of September for the declaration.
It was gathered that Jonathan had deepened his consultations since the last presidential media chat and had received representations from all category of Nigerians.
A source in the administration confirmed to the Nigerian Tribune that contrary to claims in a wired network claiming that Jonathan might not contest the next election, the president had been fully reassured that he stood a good chance of making desired changes in the lives of Nigerians by contesting in 2011.
“The president has intensified his consultations in the last months. But, as regards the 2011 election, he has been increasingly assured of the huge contributions he has to the lives of Nigerians at this critical stage.
“He has assured us that he will surely contest the next election,” the source said.
Also, a statement signed by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Public Affairs, Mr Ima Niboro, said the report which suggested that the president might not contest was sponsored.
“The truth is that the president has not said he will not run. Neither has he said he will. At different times, he has given clear reasons why he considers it premature, in the interest of governance, to make any commitment both ways,” the statement added.
The source confirmed that by mid September, Jonathan would surely join the presidential race.
“He believes that when Nigerians are busy committing their lives and that of the nation to God, what he should do as a leader is to join them in prayers and not to distract them with politics,” the source further said.