- Category: Politics
- Published on Wednesday, 22 September 2010 10:45
- Written by Daily Sun
- Hits: 1537
The stakes for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) nomination are getting messier as a secret memo has been sent to President Goodluck Jonathan advising him on how to deal with his political opponents.
In a memo to the President, dated September 6, 2010 and made available to us, a retired and controversial former military governor told the President that former military President Ibrahim Babangida and some of the governors, especially those from the North, are determined on having someone from the North to emerge as president.
In fact, one of the governors from the North-West, the memo revealed, actually mooted the idea of presenting Dr. Bukola Saraki of Kwara State in the event that Babangida fails to make it in the up-coming primaries of PDP. The memo also told the President how to deal with IBB and those governors who are presently not supporting his presidential ambition.
“There is therefore, the danger of Mr. President losing all that he stands for if he allows the governors to get to the PDP primaries without their being called to order,” the memo stated. Suggesting that intimidation is also part of administration which Mr. President has at his disposal, the memo emphatically advised Jonathan to do something about the pervasive influence of PDP governors. “We must not allow the PDP primaries to take place without panel beating our governors to shape. It will spell disaster to the Presidency”.
The memo advised Mr. President to ‘dispatch operatives to all the states without any exception.They must investigate what the governors are doing with the ministries of finance, local government and chieftaincy affairs and agricuture.’ According to the document all the agitation in favour of zoning was a carefully planned agenda to install the former military president or another candidate from the North. It said “…zoning has now become a provincial cry being advanced by IBB to simply cause disaffection and create factionalisation…those who are desperate to return to the Presidential Villa… have continued with their nocturnal meetings all over the country in trying to perfect their strategy of stopping Jonathan from aspiring to continue as president come 2011.”
Former Finance Minister Adamu Ciroma, the memo noted, had reached out to former Head of State, Dr. Yakubu Gowon to chair the meeting of September 14, at Arewa House in Kaduna where they were expected to produce a consensus candidate, a move that failed to yield any fruit in fulfillment of the memo which had predicted a collapse when it said: “…there is no way that the desperate camps that represent the aspirants would come to one voice. The camps of Atiku, IBB and Aliyu Gusau do not operate in the same parameters.
Hardly can any of them step down for the other. Therefore, this meeting of adopting a consensus candidate is going to be hard and difficult. It will end up as tower of babel.” The memo predicted that IBB will take part in the PDP primaries, although plans had almost been concluded for him to decamp to the All Nigeria Peoples Party [ANPP] where he had been assured of the ticket. Recent developments in the party had confirmed the memo whose author had advised the President not to take the contents ‘with levity’.
President Jonathan was told not to underrate the capacities of IBB and General Aliyu, both of whom are said to have garnered massive financial support to carry through their ambition. Both men, according to the memo, are enjoying tremendous financial support from abroad. Both men have also fortified themselves internally, one through his position in government while the other is relying on the very deep pocket of a billionaire businessman. The document showed that IBB is capable of generating all the resources he would need for the impending battle. It allegedly noted thus: “He [IBB] has also considerable financial interest in the importation of a popular brand of Japanese cars into the country.”
Cutting opposition to size
President Jonathan was, therefore, advised to beam his searchlight on the motor marketing company and liaise with the Angolan authorities to unravel the Nigerians behind the recent huge investments in the country’s oil sector. The game plan is for Jonathan to dig into the foregoing and unearth enough dirt to clampdown on his political opponents, make them jittery and rattle their camps in a manner that could put their bid in disarray. The Jonathan camp may have heeded this advice as recent forays of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commision [EFCC] to some states give vent to the memo.
The secret memo whose author is said to have made bids in the past to emerge as National Security Adviser without success, praised government’s recent reopening of the Halliburton scandal. “This move to deal with this Halliburton case is very refreshing. Therefore, maintaining a firm stance on recovering the monies and prosecuting the offenders will put the President ahead of the pack in the eyes of both Nigeria and the international community and leverage the hands of Nigerian government in its fight against corruption.
In the case of Governor Bukola Saraki, the President was advised to look more closely into the operations of farmers from Zimbabwe in his state as well as his alleged bid to buy one of the banks CBN is preparing for sale, from where enough evidence can be obtained to run him out of the race. Concluding, the 19-page memo called on Jonathan to take steps to protect his “integrity as a person and save this country from the preposterous activities of these cabals.”