- Category: National Security
- Published on Tuesday, 18 October 2011 06:33
- Written by Admin
- Hits: 559
It was gathered that while the police were investigating the matter, some youths suspected to be supporters of the opposition Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN, in the town, allegedly mobilised themselves and went on a reprisal attack on the paramount ruler of the town and notable PDP members from the town.
The rampaging youths, it was learnt, were said to have killed pregnantwomen, toddlers and the elderly, among whom was the wife of the paramount ruler, Zaki Terngu.
Reacting to the carnage, Governor Gabriel Suswam, who led a team of security personnel to Ugba, which is also his home town, for an on-the- spot assessment, expressed shock at the killings and destruction of property.
Picture: One of the 60 houses razed down in the mayhem
Suswam blamed the attack on suspected supporters of the opposition ACN.
The governor also assured that security personnel had been drafted to Ugba to maintain the peace.
Reacting, the State Chairman of ACN, Mr. Abba Yaro, said the crisis was sparked off by the alleged killing of two chieftains of his party.
Yaro said the party would not be deterred but continue to seek ways of recovering their mandate from the ruling PDP.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Mr. Ejike Alaribe, ASP, said the situation has been brought under control as policemen had been drafted into the town while investigations are ongoing. (Vanguard)